Friday, January 15, 2010

2010 Book List

 39) Finished off the year with this great little read. It was campy and humorous and and all around fun little whodunit!











38) Yes, I'm a bit behind on the Pilgrim reading, and yes I saw the movie first. Bad me! I absolutely adored this graphic novel and can't wait to get the rest!











37) Big Brother is watching. Big Brother is always watching. Big Brother will always catch you and turn you into a brain washed zombie. Scary, because I could also see Orwelle's vision of the future happening someday. Hell, in some aspects we see it happening already!









36) This collection of short stories by Philip K Dick was fantastic, a bit frightening (like all of his "we've doomed ourselves" future stories, they could sooo easily turn out to actually happen some day), and darkly humorous.










35) Nearly 6 months after getting it for my birthday I finally finished it. A very interesting addition to the Twilight Saga.











 34) Interesting story of survival and opposites attract friendship.












33)  Daaaaaang girl, no you didn't! I loved this book. That bitch is totally warped. And I loved the strength drawn from God at the end!











 32) Colfer did a pretty good job continuing the H2G2 story. I was thoroughly entertained and have a few new great quotes to add to my Guide book!











31) Brooklyn was a fantastic coming of age story about a girl who immigrates from Ireland for work and all the trials that go with not only finding yourself and adjusting to a whole new life, but also (of course) finding yourself in love.










30) Stinker's Return; Read this one to Owen. It's a cute sequel to Stinker from Space.

 29) I really quite liked this story of a woman coming to terms both with her past and her destiny.











28) I know I don't often go in for love stories, but I am trying to vary my literary horizons. This was a very sweet, very emotional book, Sparks' faith in God is evident throughout and I can only hope and pray that someday I find a man like Noah to give me that kind of love.









27)  This was a pretty decent murder mystery. The plot isn't bad. The humor isn't bad either, though sometimes feels a little forced. I liked it enough that I may someday read further into the series.










26) Loved this book. I'm still rather annoyed at the way in which Stephanie's female leads, so strong in everything else, get so damn pathetic when it comes to love. I get that fierce women love fiercely, I've got a bit of that in me myself, but that doesn't mean they need to be pathetic about it. Meyer has become a source of admiration and her female leads have become role models for millions of very young girls and they really don't need to start thinking that being pathetic and whiney and clingy is they way girls in love should act. That aside the rest of the book was fantastic. The Host, unlike the Twilight saga, ended pretty much exactly how I wanted. The characters were well fleshed out and I came to care about them all (to the point of tearing up a bit at the end), the plot was cool and gave you plenty to think about on the human condition.




25) It's taken me years to realize something. Partly "Scarpetta" helped me realize it. Mostly it was my extreme excitement at PBS' Masterpiece Mystery Poirot series that got me to FINALLY get to reading Agatha Christie. I prefer Victorian era whodunnits to modern day investigative stories. Less reliance on technology, more reliance on "the little grey cells." I've always been a girl that prefers brains over looks. (Well those reasons as well as I'm a steampunker at heart and just adore the fashion of the period.) I've 100% fell in love wit Poirot and Christie with this book and have picked up a few more of hers and will also soon be FINALLY reading some Arthur Conan Doyle.




24) Awwwww, poor Oscar. Having been an overweight scifi nerd myself and being a proud nerd for life I just fell in love with the guy. I cried for him a fair few times, and I squeed with glee at all the nerdtastic references.










23)  I wasn't even half way through this masterpiece when it became my favorite read of the year thus far. The characters, the plots, the clever way Thackeray cast satirical commentary on the selfishness of 19th century society (which we are most certainly still guilty of)! I'd truly be hard pressed to come up with a single criticism of this delicious treat!









 22) Wish I had known I was coming into something akin to the middle of the series of these. I hate leaving a series unread but I was really pretty unimpressed so I think I may just have to deal with the feeling of abandonment these books will have.










21) William Faulkner. One of the best books of the 20th century. Stream of consciousness writing, which I just love. Wow. These people were truly something else. I'm not sure how I feel about a single one of them, but I know how I feel about this book. Incredible.









20) What a fantastic adaptation of an old fairy tale. Not quite as fantastic as "The Book of Lost Things" or Gregory Maguire's adaptations, but I very truly enjoyed this book!










19) Very interesting, both in it's style and for a person who didn't have the experience of growing up inner city and thus never had to deal with a truly rough childhood.











18) I am absolutely convinced that I could never be high society. Those people, men and women, prattle on constantly about absolutely nothing. It was a decent book and all, but definitely not one of my favorites. As far as classic chick lit is concerned, I think I'll go with Charlotte Bronte. I think her style suits me better.










17) Sometimes a girl just feels plain and unworthy and hopes to find love, even in unlikely places. I'm sure that's why this book is so popular. I did enjoy it, an interesting departure from my usual tastes. However, having read this and being half-way through Emma I am convinced I could never be anything near high-society. Good lord I hope people don't actually talk that much while saying so little in real life!








16) Mystery and intrigue in the Congo with British flair. Really, you can't get better than that!












15) Stinker From Space by Pamela Service An absolutely adorable little science fiction book I read to my son. We both loved it!

14) An amazing follow up to "Wicked". Liir's journey of self-doubt is something we all can relate to, though perhaps not in such extremes.











13) One of the most celebrated pieces of literature of all time, a true masterwork and I adored it!











12) I've always been of the opinion that we as a species are mere moments from complete digression into chaos and an animalistic society worse than any nature has to offer. Saramango decribed one way in which this might happen in this amazing book. And of course, as any good book should do, gave a glimmer of hope at the end. I loved this book, it was terrible and beautiful.








11) Even more fun than the last!












10) Thus far my favorite book of the series.












9) I think these books are making my dyslexia worse by mentioning dyslexia so much!












8) Better than the 1st!












7) I only have a few words for this one... WHEN IS THE 4TH BOOK COMING OUT?!?











6) It's very obvious that Riordan decided to cash in on the Harry Potter craze. Everything from the black haired, green eyed hero kid to the unlikely hero with a smartypants female and goofy male friend golden trio to the moniker "Half Blood." Being a ginormous Harry Potter fan you'd think the blatant stealing of ideas from my favorite series would upset me. I'm a very open minded kinda gal, though, and I have a soft spot for all youth fantasy. I also love anything that's going to open up kids minds to learning. Getting kids interested in learning about Greek mythology is awesome and I loved this book!





5) I enjoyed the way the series ended with such hope. Altogether a great series for families with younger kids.











4) 3rd in the Books of Ember series, which is really the prequel. Tells a story of the events that lead up to the Disaster. Interesting, and a good moral along with the rest of the series, but DEFINITELY not my favorite book in the series.










3) 2nd in the Books of Ember series. My favorite of the series.













2) I really wish I would stop seeing Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger in my head while reading this.











1) 2nd in the Inheritance series. Fun book, look forward to the 3rd.

0 comments: