Friday, January 14, 2011

2011 Book List

*facepalm* Oh no, I lost books 23 to 44 on the list :( I've got 45 & up though!

50) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Reread
49) LiveScience - I read enough LiveScience to claim it as a book, so this year that's just what I'm doing!
48) Moby Dick: or, the White Whale by Herman Melville - Hands down the best book to take out of context! Loved the story, hate Melville's writing style. Oh well, can't have everything.
47) The Capture (Guardians of Ga'hoole, Book 1) by Kathryn Lasky - Didn't really like it.
46) One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Marquez is such a wonderful story teller

45) Dracula by Bram Stoker




23) Ooooooooh. Wow. Hands down one of the best things I've ever read. Usually a book will settle into the library stacks of my mind within 24 hours. It's been a good 3 days and it's still messing with my head. Splendid. Absolutely marvelous. I really wish the movie had done it some sort of justice, but then again no 1.5-2 hr movie ever really could. Watchmen is being filed right next to Les Miserables on my favorites shelf. Which probably says far more about me than I really want anyone to know!







22) Eh...It's not often that I don't like classics. I mean they're classics for a reason. I wasn't really wild about this story though. I guess I just can't jive with people telling a person to stop doing something that is obviously not their fault, like aging backwards. How could anyone possibly think that one is stubbornly reversing the entire course of nature on purpose? Perhaps I'm missing something?











 21) Same ole neuroses, new year. Just like life only more funny and true! I'm pretty sure Brig and I are related. With any luck I'll have a happy ending with Colin Firth too!










20) With as strong a second book as Catching Fire was, I absolutely couldn't read another book before Mockingjay. I completely understand why my son's Boy's Life magazine ranks this series among the "100 books every boy should read" and it's been since...well since Deathly Hallows... that I've been this excited about a book-to-movie. When Booklist Jr. gets a bit older I'll be sure to introduce him to this amazing series!







19) It's not too often that the second novel in a series is just as good as the first. The Two Towers. Chamber of Secrets. Prince Caspian. Catching Fire definitely ranks among these. I just wish Katniss wasn't so stubborn absolutely all the time.










18) My (not so) inner neurotic-almost-30-and-single girl appreciated this novel more than I thought possible. Let's face it, damn near all of us are a lot like Brig, some of us just hid it better than others.










17) All that Scott really needs to come across now is a "?" box with a fire flower in it and I'll completely nerdgasm!











16) Absolutely hilarious and completely frightening. I have no doubts that the government actually funds projects such as the ones described in this book.











15) History, myth, psychology, genetics, sexuality, nature vs. nurture, and wonderful humor. What more could a girl want? Loved it!











14) Ooooooh I do love dystopian books and it's no wonder this particular one has made such a huge splash. I, pardon the pun, devoured The Hunger Games!











13) Reread. Bedtime stories for Booklist Jr. Still adore it!












12) Intricately woven, richly and darkly told.












11) Mr. Washington is probably one of the most humble people ever to have lived, never feeling he deserved fame. He dedicated his life to hard work and education all the while keeping his feet firmly planted on the ground, making him one of the people I truly look up to. I hope this story continues to inspire people the world over, we all could truly learn some lessons from him.








10) Fantastic mystery starring a cheeky little 11 year old. Loved it.












9) Just as awesome as the first!












8) The only things I really got out of this book are a fear of embolisms and an annoyance with the phrase "true fact."











7) People of the Book was AMAZING. I think I've found a new favorite genre in historical fiction.  Brooks weaves an interesting tale using a fictional reverse chronology story of the path a real book takes to it's current place in history. Historical fiction, more than any other genre, encourages me to research (something I love to do anyway) while at the same time creating truly interesting entertainment. People of the Book has been compared to the writings of Dan Brown (of Da Vinci Code fame) and I'm inclined to agree. Well worth the read.






6) This was basically a good book. I found the extensive internal monologues around the middle of the book to be quite cumbersome, especially for one character in particular. But the book in general, the message of equality and peace and love, and the struggle of all the characters during such a turbulent time in American history, was a wonderful and educational read.







 
5) The only word I can really use to describe this book is profound. This book is intelligent and quirky and the ending sad, hopeful, and beautifully tragic. Every now and then a book will come along that slightly alters my perception of the world. Based on how Elegance is still haunting my mind, I'd say this is one of those books that's beyond good, beyond great...








4) What a fun, intriguing book full of interesting characters this is! I'd really like to see this one made into a movie. A bit noir, a bit offbeat, a bit...soggy!











3)  I think every teenaged girl (and every woman with an inner teenaged girl) should read this great book about self discovery, friendship, love, and the crazy ride it takes us on.










2) Poirot's little gray cells solve another fatal intrigue. I just adore Christie's style and the narrator's complete inability to figure out, after knowing him for so long, that Poirot is never wrong!










1) Chabon weaves a tale that is nothing short of magical as three kids on the cusp of their teen years realize that they are greater than they ever imagined. As much as I love baseball, never has the great American game been so exciting!

0 comments: